Hemp Seed Oil for Hair
Hemp is a member of the Cannabis sativa species of plant. You may have heard this plant referred to as marijuana, but this is really a different variety of Cannabis sativa.
Hemp seed oil is a clear green oil made by cold-pressing hemp seeds. It’s different from cannabidiol (CBD), which is an extract produced from hemp flowers and leaves.
Hemp seed oil typically doesn’t contain the chemical tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which provides the high associated with marijuana use.
Hemp seed oil is said to have many health benefits, among them that it protects hair from damage. Read on to find out more.
There isn’t much clinical research on the benefits of using hemp seed oil on your hair. Advocates of the practice suggest that research on other similar oils that benefit hair may also apply to hemp seed oil.
For example, according to a 2015 research article , certain oils — such as coconut oil — can play a role in protecting hair from damage by:
- preventing too much water from being absorbed by hair
- helping to prevent the penetration of certain substances into hair follicles
- prevent hair breakage by enhancing lubrication of the shaft.
- prevent hair breakage by reducing the combing force of wet hair
Some believe these may also apply to hemp seed oil.
Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are considered to be good for hair when taken as an oral supplement. Hemp seed oil has plenty of both.
For example, a 2015 study found improvement in the hair diameter and hair density of participants who took omega-3 and omega-6 oral supplements over the course of six months.
Researchers on the study also discovered that omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in combination with antioxidants prevented hair loss in participants who took them.
Hemp seed oil has 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids. It also contains smaller amounts of three other polyunsaturated fatty acids: oleic acid, stearidonic acid, and gamma-linolenic acid.
A tablespoon of hemp seed oil contains 14 grams of fat, 1.5 grams of saturated fat, and 12.5 grams of polyunsaturated fat.
Hemp seed oil also includes:
- antioxidants, such as vitamin E
Along with modest amounts of iron and zinc, hemp seed oil also contains a number of minerals, including:
Although there isn’t specific clinical research to support their claims, proponents of using hemp seed oil for hair, whether applied topically or taken as a supplement, suggest that the oil will
- moisturize hair
- stimulate hair growth
- strengthen hair
These suggestions are based on anecdotal evidence and research on similar oils that appear to be beneficial for hair.
Last medically reviewed on January 11, 2019
Hemp and marijuana are varieties of the same plant. Advocates of hemp seed oil for hair claim that it can moisturize and strengthen hair, as well as stimulate hair growth. We'll discuss the possible benefits of hemp seed oil for hair here.
Benefits of Hemp Oil for Reducing Hair Loss
Hemp (Cannabis) oil contains many natural vitamins, fatty acids and proteins that are good for your hair and skin. We have already written of the many benefits it has for facial hair, but hemp oil is a great weapon against hair loss, thinning hair, and for hair regrowth.
Losing hair can of course be caused by many different factors that include genetics, infection, illness, hormone imbalance, poor nutrition and stress. So any remedy will have to look at all of these as the possible cause.
But hemp or cannabis oil has many proven hair growing, restoring and thickening properties that make it a great product to start using right away. Here are the main reasons that it really does help those that are follically challenged:-
- Promotes Growth – Hempseed oils greatest property is the perfect ratio of essential Omega fatty acids (EFA’s) and Omega 3, 6, and 9 (GLA-gamma-linoleic acid) and ceramides which helps retain protein and moisture in the hair. These fatty acids are needed for new hair growth. Hemp seed oil can also improve blood circulation in the scalp, thereby stimulating new hair growth.
- Nourishment – Hemp oil is high in protein, vitamins and minerals too. These properties are proven to stimulate hair growth for many, moisturizing and nourishing the hair, making it stronger and grow thicker and healthier, as well as help hair loss, improve thinning hair, and increase health.
- Moisturize – The moisturizing properties in hemp seed oil can both improve the follicles and the skin which helps create a perfect environment for growing hair.
- Reduce Inflammation – It has anti-inflammatory properties which will help stop any inflammation on the scalp that can lead to hair loss.
- Elasticity improvement – Because of the lipids, present in hemp oil, the increase in elasticity, volume and shine is observed.
- Strengthens hair – Hair is mostly (90%) made of protein. Hemp Oil not only contains 25% protein but also helps create keratin needed for the initial hair strand growth.
- Preventing Breakage of hair – When hair loses moisture, it can become very dry and break more easily. Hemp Seed Oil helps maintain the natural texture of hair, preventing water loss and adding moisture to the hair and scalp. This is especially important in drier climates or weathers, where hair tends to lose moisture more quickly.
Hemp oil for hair how to use
There are a number of different ways to apply the hemp oil hair treatment:-
- You can create a hair mask and apply the oil, leaving for 30mins-2 hours before rinsing.
- Alternatively you can apply a few drops to your shampoo and/or conditioner.
- You can rub in a few drops and leave in.
We have a number of Hemp Oil hair products that include the equally impressive jojoba oil which has many hair repair properties as well..
Hemp (Cannabis) oil contains many natural vitamins, fatty acids and proteins that are good for your hair and skin. We have already written of the many benefits it has for facial hair, but hemp oil is a great weapon against hair loss, thinning hair, and for hair regrowth.Losing hair can of course be caused by many diffe