Cannabis and coconut oil: Uses, benefits, and a recipe to make your own
Coconut oil has managed to infuse its way into some of the cannabis industry’s most sought-after products, including edibles and topicals, but why?
Why is coconut oil popular for cannabis infusion?
Coconut oil has a high concentration of fatty acids (saturated fats). The surplus of these fatty acids in coconut oil create a strong binding agent for cannabinoids.
Compared to olive oil, which contains a saturated fat content of less than 20%, coconut oil contains over 80% saturated fats and thus has the ability to retain far more cannabinoids during infusions, making it far more efficient. Coconut oil is a near-perfect medium for cannabis-infused oils.
Coconut oil uses and health benefits
Coconut oil also contains other sets of beneficial acids that have been known to have a list of potential health benefits. Lauric acid is a great example—when digested, lauric acid creates a monoglyceride that acts as an antimicrobial.
These fatty acids are found in abundance in coconut oil, making it a top contender for those looking for a healthier oil base than butter or canola oil.
Another fantastic benefit of using coconut oil is it will remain solid at room temperature. This makes it a great medium for using as a topical agent. Furthermore, its solid state allows the oil to be easily stored via gelatin capsules, a widely popular and highly effective method of consuming cannabis.
Gelatin oil capsules are so simple and easy to make at home—the ingredients can be purchased from just about any pharmacy or online, making for a fun and simple DIY project.
How to make cannabis-infused coconut oil
Aside from the fact that you can purchase coconut oil relatively inexpensively from just about anywhere, the process of decarboxylating and infusing cannabis into coconut oil requires only a few simple ingredients and can be done at home with minimal effort.
Recipe for cannabis coconut oil
- 1 cup of ground cannabis flower (7-10 grams)
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- Strainer or cheesecloth
- Grinder (a simple hand grinder works best; appliances like blenders and coffee grinder pulverize the cannabis, resulting in edibles with bad tasting plant material)
- Double-boiler, slow cooker, saucepan, etc.
- Grind your cannabis. You can include the entire plant, just the flower, a little bit of both—this is all a matter of preference. Just keep in mind that anything small enough to fit through the strainer will end up in your finished product, so again, do not grind your cannabis to a fine powder.
- Combine oil and cannabis in your double-boiler, slow cooker, or saucepan and heat the two together on low or warm for a few hours. This allows for decarboxylation (activation of THC) without scorching (which destroys the active ingredients). Cooking can be done a variety of ways: in a slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally; in a double-boiler on low for at least 6 hours (8 is better), stirring occasionally; or in a simple saucepan on low for at least 2-3 hours, stirring frequently (a saucepan is most susceptible to scorching). In all cases, a small amount of water can be added to the mixture to help avoid burning. Note: whatever method you choose, temperature of the oil should not exceed 245°F.
- Strain and store the oil. Do not squeeze the cheesecloth; this will simply add more chlorophyll to your oil. All remaining plant material can be discarded or used in other dishes if you have the wherewithal. The oil’s shelf life is at least two months, and can be extended with refrigeration.
How to use cannabis coconut oil
Once you’ve got an infusion of coconut oil, the uses are endless!
- Combine your infused coconut oil with beeswax and aloe to make your own an infused cannabis topical
- Use your coconut oil in place of oil in a recipe of your choice to make a variety of infused dishes (try Herb Roasted Potatoes!)
- Infused coconut oil can easily be used as a lubricant in the bedroom (But be safe! Coconut oil may weaken condoms)
- Put your infused coconut oil into capsules for easy measurable dosing
- Make an infused cannabis tea latte
Expect to see coconut oil remain a staple in future cannabis infusions across the market. As major brands continue to innovate, coconut oil should thrive on the ingredient lists of more products to come.
If, however, you don’t have access to a dispensary near you or want to try a fun DIY with your own material, you can always make your own at home. Trust us, you’ll go coconuts for this stuff!
How to make CBD coconut oil
For those who don’t want the effects of THC in their infused coconut oil, you can infuse it with CBD instead. Simply follow the recipe above but use CBD flower instead of THC flower to get the health benefits of CBD.
This post was originally published on April 16, 2016. It was most recently updated on April 16, 2020.
Coconut oil has infused its way into some of the cannabis industry’s most popular products. Learn why, and find a recipe to make your own.
Organic CBD Coconut Oil GOLD
Regular price £34.99 Sale
We offer FREE UK shipping on all orders over £70
Our Organic CBD Coconut Oil contains approximately 500mg of CBD in each jar.
A unique blend of two of nature’s most powerful Super-foods: Hemp and Coconut, our Organic CBD Coconut Oil is hand made by infusing milled hemp flowers into melted coconut oil.
Eat it raw, spread on toast, add to your favourite drink or recipe, or massage directly on to your skin for amazing results.
1 teaspoon ≈ 24mg CBD
We are the first certified organic UK CBD company
CBD is a non-intoxicating compound most prevalent in hemp. The human body is widely populated with cannabinoid receptors, which play a crucial role in regulating our physiology, mood and everyday experience.
Why combine CBD with coconut oil?
Coconut oil is high in essential fatty acids, which act as a binding agent for the CBD, allowing for superior nutrient and cannabinoid absorption.
What other nutrients does this contain?
The two ingredients also contain vitamins A, D, K, & E, beta-carotene, plus the 400+ beneficial compounds found in hemp flowers. Hemp also contains the perfectly balanced 3:1 ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 essential fatty acids, offering the richest, most balanced natural source of EFAs known on earth.
Raised Spirit CBD Coconut Oil is a perfect replacement for butter and other types of oil typically used in the kitchen. You can make smoothies, soups, dressings, stir-fries, sauces, and baked goods with the infused oil. It is also gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
Best to ingest! To gain the most powerful effects, eat this CBD Coconut Oil or add it to your favourite hot drink.
It can also be applied topically: just rub straight onto skin and feel the amazing benefits as it absorbs into the blood stream, helping relax the muscles and moisturise the skin. Try massaging it into your feet just before bed for a deep, relaxing, stress-relieving sleep!
Raised Spirit CBD Coconut Oil will keep best stored in a cool dark place. Consume within 12 months.
WE HAVE ONLY EVER RECEIVED 5 STAR REVIEWS FROM OUR CUSTOMERS ACROSS ALL PLATFORMS
1/4 – 1 teaspoon eaten or stirred into a hot drink 1-3 times a day. Each individual will experience slightly different effects. It is best to experiment with portion sizes taken at different times of the day to discover what works best for you, depending on desired results.
1 teaspoon ≈ 24mg CBD
For wholesale opportunites, contact [email protected]
We are the first certified organic UK CBD company.
REFUND AND RETURNS POLICY
We use only the finest quality EU organic hemp to give you the best CBD available. If for any reason there is a problem with your product please contact [email protected] within 30 days and we will replace or refund the item. Please note that slight colour variations to the photo displayed reflects the natural variations within a crop, and a marbled texture is completely normal.
Website orders are dispatched the next working day, and should arrive within 2-3 working days (3-7 days for International orders). You will receive a confirmation email once your order has been received.
We offer FREE shipping on all UK orders over £70.
SHARE THE LOVE
Welcome to the wonderful world of hemp! We love to hear how much of a positive effect our products have on your lives, so get in touch and share the love!
The Best Quality You Can Buy – Raised Spirit CBD COCONUT OIL is made by hand with LOVE from Organic Hemp Flowers in England. Contains the Full Spectrum of cannabinoids, 3rd Party Lab Tested, NO THC. Cannabidiol (CBD) is fat-soluble, so taking it infused in coconut oil gives the most powerful health benefits.